The Towne Creek School is looking for an experienced swim teacher who is a positive person with great communication skills and is a great team player. Lessons will be provided in five, two week sessions for children age 3 through 12 years. The teacher will be responsible for assessing student skills then planning and implementing swim lesson activities which will enhance each student’s abilities. Other duties include daily testing and maintenance of pool chemical levels and ensuring that the pool area, furniture and equipment are maintained in a safe manner.
- Must be 18 years of age and a high school graduate.
- Must have a clear FBI background check and be fingerprinted prior to start of employment.
- Must have experience teaching swim lessons and have WSI Certification from Red Cross or another recognized organization.
- If not currently certified, applicant must be willing to enroll and complete a WSI course prior to June 6, 2013.
- Must be current in CPR and First Aid or successfully complete an approved course within the first month of employment.
- Must have two years’ experience caring for children in a licensed early childhood facility OR successful completion of 24 hours of pre-service child care orientation.
- Must be friendly, hardworking, energetic, enthusiastic, creative, self-motivated and willing to make learning fun! The position requires considerable flexibility and patience.
- Must be capable of managing a group of children with varied dispositions in a positive and respectful manner.
- Must have good verbal as well as written communication skills such as content and grammar.
- Must be able to work well both independently and cooperatively in a positive, team-oriented, environment.
- Must have a good attendance record and be punctual.
- Must be able to withstand high heat and humidity for long periods of time.
- Must be able to fulfill the physical demands of the position ie; able to lift, carry, push and/or pull up to 50 pounds. Some climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching and or crawling will be required.
- Ensure the safety of each child enrolled in the swim class through constant supervision.
- The teacher must be warm, friendly, creative, and communicate effectively with the children.
- Should enjoy and respect the egocentricity of every child in the classroom.
- Plan and implement developmentally and age appropriate swim lessons.
- Swim lessons should be planned taking the following into consideration:
a) The various ages of the children
b) The various swimming abilities
c) The various levels of comfort in the water
- Whenever possible, swim lessons should utilize fun teaching methods for learning to swim.
- On the first day of each session, students’ swimming ability must be assessed and all students in the session grouped together based on ability.
- At the end of the first week, a written progress assessment will be prepared and distributed to the parents.
- Students will be picked up and dropped off at their classrooms by the Swim Teacher.
- Pool problems and/or repairs should be reported to the administration and the pool company.
- Must be open to change, new ideas and constructive criticism.
- Attend all scheduled meetings and in-service presentations for the purpose of acquiring and/or conveying information relative to job functions.
- Be knowledgeable of the Minimum Standard Requirements of Child Care required by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services as they pertain to pool use.
SALARY RANGE $10 – $12 per hour
- Salary is based on a number of factors 1) Certifications 2) Years of experience, etc. Final salary is negotiable.