The Assistant Preschool Teacher is responsible for all aspects of the care and education for the children enrolled in his/her class. Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following: physical caregiving, aiding the lead teacher with developmental assessments, following an age appropriate curricular plan, attending field trips, driving school vans, teaching in the absence of the lead teacher, and facilitation of supportive relationships with the owner, directors, co-workers, parents, and students.
- Must be 18 years of age and graduated from high school
- Must have a clear FBI background check and be fingerprinted prior to start of employment.
- A degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development or related field is preferred but not required.
- Must have two years’ experience caring for children in a licensed early childhood facility, public or private school, OR successfully complete 24 hours of pre-service child care orientation.
- Must be warm, nurturing, patient, and open to learning.
- Must be capable of managing a group of children with varied dispositions in a positive and respectful manner in a variety of situations.
- Must have the specific, knowledge-based competencies (stages of child development and learning styles, age appropriate activities, etc.) required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job.
- Must have good verbal as well as written communication skills such as content and grammar.
- Must be current in CPR and First Aid or successfully complete an approved course within the first month of employment.
- Should be enthusiastic, energetic, creative and self-motivated. The position requires considerable flexibility and patience.
- Must be able to work well both independently and cooperatively in a positive, team-oriented, environment.
- Must have a good attendance record and be punctual.
- Must be able to fulfill the physical demands of the position i.e.; able to lift, carry, push and/or pull up to 50 pounds. Some climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching and or crawling will be required.
- Ensure the safety of each child enrolled in the class whether in the classroom, on the playground or in common areas, through constant supervision.
- Have appropriate and consistent classroom management skills.
- Enjoy and respect the egocentricity of every child in the classroom.
- Be open to change, new ideas and constructive criticism.
- Plan and implement developmentally appropriate classroom practices that support the physical, emotional, social and cognitive needs of young children and meet the standards of the Towne Creek School.
- Work with the lead teacher in a positive, professional manner.
- Team with parents, co-workers and administration to provide the best support for the children through sharing information in a professional and confidential manner.
- Be familiar with the lesson plans and prepared to teach in the lead teacher’s absence.
- Assist the lead teacher in preparation of planned activities, lunch set up, clean up, etc.
- Supervise students during motor development, music, and other extracurricular activities.
- Assist students individually or in small groups with lessons/activities.
- Have positive interactions with each child on a daily basis during circle time, centers, snacks, lunch time, playground, free play, etc. for the purpose of creating a positive learning environment.
- Drive the school van for field trips (optional).
- Perform general housekeeping duties within the classroom, on the playground and throughout the school.
- Attend all scheduled meetings and in-service presentations for the purpose of acquiring and/or conveying information relative to job functions.
- Successfully complete 24 clock hours of professional in service training annually.
- Be knowledgeable of the Minimum Standard Requirements of Child Care required by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services.
SALARY RANGE $8 – $12 per hour
Salary is based on a number of factors: 1) Educational background 2) Years of experience 3) Child care, etc. Final salary is negotiable.